Skip to main content

What I Have Gained and What I Have Lost Being Gluten-Free for 3 1/2 Years

        Gluten -Free is definitely a lifestyle. Like it or not you once you claim a gluten-free life, you have differentiated yourself from most of society. Some people have gone gluten-free due to GMO issues. Some because of the awful Celiac Disease. I personally decided to go gluten-free because of a nerve disorder that began taking charge of my life, Chronic Migraine Syndrome. Whatever your reason or your family members reason, know that we do it for the "Health-of-It". It is a difficult journey not only for you, but for those around you.
         Sometimes family members feel they need to tip-toe around the subject. Most times, they want you to know that they understand your needs and want to accommodate you. If you are like me, deep inside, it bothers you immensely and hurts your heart that others feel they need to adjust their lifestyle for you. After a few years, people close to you begin to adapt their thinking and understand that a GF diet is a normal part of your life. Below is a list of my gains and losses regarding gluten-free eating for 3 1/2 years. I hope you can relate.

Gained:

  • Weight-Contrary to belief, a GF diet can be higher in calories for the same amount of food consumption. Most GF breads are 100 to 120 calories per slice compared to wheat breads that are 60-90 calories per slice.
  • Knowledge and Understanding - I have a higher appreciation for people who are allergic to foods or have any kind of food sensitivity.
  • Must Read Every Ingredient Label - Unless a product is labeled GF, I must read the ingredients. As a non-GF person, you would never think that wheat is in ice cream. Well, it is. Or soy sauce. Which means wheat is also in beef or turkey jerky. Most foods that are labeled "Teriyaki" are off-limits to a GF person. Even some vitamins contain wheat. 

Lost:

  • Allergy Symptoms - No more watery eyes everyday. No more runny nose every time I bend over to pick up something. 
  • Food Cravings - I had no idea that I craved bread because I was sensitive to it. Crazy weird. I no longer have the need to drive to the store because I have to have a bagel or baguette. 
  • Restroom Proximity - Gone are the days where I need to know where a restroom is everywhere I travel. 
  • New Friends - That can totally relate to my issues.
  • Food Hangovers - I did not realize what was happening at the time, but I called them food hangovers. After a meal later at night, (meaning 9 pm or 10 pm),  I would wake up with an excruciating migraine. I do not drink alcohol, so I knew the headache was not alcohol related. 
  • The Ability to Eat at Any Restaurant - This is very sad. Most places now, can compensate for GF sensitive eaters, however they can not compensate for Celiac Disease. A few places in my area can. One is My Pie. (They specifically have a special location within the store that no gluten touches and you make your own pizza with a GF crust.  312 in German town, Nashville, TN. They also make their own GF crust on-site. 

I am sure I am missing some losses and gains that you all have had. Please comment and share below. I want to understand your journey too.

Have a Happy Health-a-licious Day!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O-M-Goodness! Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (75% Sugar-Free)

This so sooo amazing! Of course, I had to tweek it to my dietary needs.  You are going to fall out of your chair at how easy and surprisingly delicious this is. Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Dairy-Free -  Gluten-Free -  Sugar-Free -  High in fiber and protein -  Low in fat -  250 calories   Ingredients: 3 Cups of Prepared Garbanzo aka Chickpeas (Or 2 cans Garbanzos that have been drained and well rinsed. I used Bush's brand.) 1 cup Quaker Oats Gluten-Free Quick Oats 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce 3 tbsp Coconut Oil 2 tsp Vanilla Extract 1/2 tsp Baking Soda 2 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp Salt (Finely ground sea salt from Sunshine Nutrition Center http://sunshinehealthy.com) 1 1/3 cups Truvia Brown Sugar with Stevia for baking (75% Sugar-Free) 1 Tbs. Molasses 1 cup Semisweet Carob Chips (http://sunshinehealthy.com) Directions:   Preheat Oven to 350     ˚F Combine all ingredients (except the...

Make Ahead & Freeze Gluten Free Recipes.

After 8 months of gluten free eating my husband is on board to cook gluten free meals for me. He is an amazing cook. He is creative, follows the recipe and adds his own flair to make the recipe all his own. He even came in 2nd at a huge chili cook off at our church. He has created two new home recipes for me. Both are make ahead recipes. Both are freezable. In our household we like to cook twice a week. Enough to be evening staple meals for two or three days. With only two of us it makes it easier than most families of 4 or more. With these new freezable recipes we have been trying, we can cook on Sunday and have meals for a month if we choose. These recipes can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months. Pizza Tot Casserole 1 1/2lbs ground beef                                     ...

The search for healthy delicious foods

I have been in a life long search to find healthy delicious foods that work for my health and my body. Always seeking to find the latest and greatest in foods and flavors that work best for me and my health. I am working to keep my body energetic and fit while overcoming health obstacles that I never imagined would be on my journey in this lifetime. I am writing this blog in the hopes to help others who are on the same journey. Busy women who are on a health quest for themselves and their families. Women who need to keep their energy high and their emotions on track daily so they can be a Proverbs 31 woman. (More to come about that later.) I am by no means an expert. Just a layperson who has taken advice from others (professionals, friends and others) and found that I have discovered more along the way than I ever could have imagined and I am sure to learn so much more. My new discovery; A gluten-free diet is amaz-mo. Food tastes better! You have more energy! Y...