Skip to main content

Sugar Cravings, Detox and More

So my hubby was selected by his company to be a lead in a certain group which meant he would be traveling for 4 days. Perfect, I thought. I will only eat vegies or fruit, and drink coffee, tea or water.

My fav foods are vegies and fruit. I know I need protein so I eat it, but if I didn't have to I wouldn't eat it everyday. I love, vegies, fruit and desert. In fact one of my fav meals is a huge vegie plate and a pint of Hagen Daaz Gelato.

So...I decided to do a detox while my hubby was out of town. $72.00 for what I felt was 4 days worth of fruits and vegetables. I did the detox. Only water, coffee or tea. Only vegetables or fruits. No sauces, no sugars, no condiments except herbs and spices. Every day about 3p, I started getting a headache. I would eat a piece of fruit. That wouldn't help. I decided after those 3 days that I am addicted to sugar. So I am now working my way to be sugar free with the exception of fruits.

The holidays are proving challenging because of family vacation days and my mother's traditional homemade heritage cookies, Lebkuchen and Springerles.

After 3 days of detox, I did not loose weight. I felt better. I had more energy. I was able to workout more.

Then....it happened. You know..that family event that sends the entire family running to the emergency and the aftermath that occurs. Adrenaline rush, anger, anxiety, trying to stay calm on the outside while you are falling apart on the inside. Doctors appointments, prescriptions, more doctors appointments, shots, more doctors appointments and EKG's.

So what do I reach for...sugar. Pizza, cookies, the stuff that I just took a week trying to get off. Apparently sugar is my drug of choice.

All it did was make me feel worse. My joints hurt, my muscles hurt and my body aches. It didn't ache before I ate the sugar. It wanted to move before, I ate the sugar. I was not exhausted before I ate the sugar.

Lesson learned...I think. Sugar; bad. Healthy eating; good.

Have a Happy Health-a-licious Day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

O-M-Goodness! Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (75% Sugar-Free)

This so sooo amazing! Of course, I had to tweek it to my dietary needs.  You are going to fall out of your chair at how easy and surprisingly delicious this is. Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Dairy-Free -  Gluten-Free -  Sugar-Free -  High in fiber and protein -  Low in fat -  250 calories   Ingredients: 3 Cups of Prepared Garbanzo aka Chickpeas (Or 2 cans Garbanzos that have been drained and well rinsed. I used Bush's brand.) 1 cup Quaker Oats Gluten-Free Quick Oats 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce 3 tbsp Coconut Oil 2 tsp Vanilla Extract 1/2 tsp Baking Soda 2 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp Salt (Finely ground sea salt from Sunshine Nutrition Center http://sunshinehealthy.com) 1 1/3 cups Truvia Brown Sugar with Stevia for baking (75% Sugar-Free) 1 Tbs. Molasses 1 cup Semisweet Carob Chips (http://sunshinehealthy.com) Directions:   Preheat Oven to 350     ˚F Combine all ingredients (except the...

Make Ahead & Freeze Gluten Free Recipes.

After 8 months of gluten free eating my husband is on board to cook gluten free meals for me. He is an amazing cook. He is creative, follows the recipe and adds his own flair to make the recipe all his own. He even came in 2nd at a huge chili cook off at our church. He has created two new home recipes for me. Both are make ahead recipes. Both are freezable. In our household we like to cook twice a week. Enough to be evening staple meals for two or three days. With only two of us it makes it easier than most families of 4 or more. With these new freezable recipes we have been trying, we can cook on Sunday and have meals for a month if we choose. These recipes can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months. Pizza Tot Casserole 1 1/2lbs ground beef                                     ...

The search for healthy delicious foods

I have been in a life long search to find healthy delicious foods that work for my health and my body. Always seeking to find the latest and greatest in foods and flavors that work best for me and my health. I am working to keep my body energetic and fit while overcoming health obstacles that I never imagined would be on my journey in this lifetime. I am writing this blog in the hopes to help others who are on the same journey. Busy women who are on a health quest for themselves and their families. Women who need to keep their energy high and their emotions on track daily so they can be a Proverbs 31 woman. (More to come about that later.) I am by no means an expert. Just a layperson who has taken advice from others (professionals, friends and others) and found that I have discovered more along the way than I ever could have imagined and I am sure to learn so much more. My new discovery; A gluten-free diet is amaz-mo. Food tastes better! You have more energy! Y...