Skip to main content

Food Relationships, Family Relationships, Food Triggers

We all have relationships with food.  These relationships are constantly changing. Most of us have a love hate relationship. We love certain foods, but they don't love us.

The foods we love are not good for our bodies. Or we eat too much of the food we love. We don't eat enough of the foods that are good for us. It is a constant struggle and test in self-discipline for most of our lives.

I have found throughout the last eight months and the elimination diet that I have gained 15 lbs because I am trying to replace the foods I love with other foods. I gave up all Tyramine rich foods, all processed foods, all sugar additives, all MSG, all aged foods and all nuts.

I have found that a migraine trigger for me is nuts. Almonds and peanut butter seem to be the biggest triggers. I couldn't  believe it. I have eaten peanut butter my entire life. The great news with adding foods back in from eight months of elimination is that you rediscover foods you have loved and forgot you loved, like bananas and Pepper Jack cheese.

Now that I know I can add foods back in I am not binge eating as much. I don't understand it but that is how it is working. I have also found that I don't crave gluten rich foods anymore. My food cravings are practically non-existent. Very bizarre. I also appreciate food more. I don't take it for granted like I used to.

I had a most special moment last week at a wedding. There were probably 100-150 guests in attendance. There were two of us that were gluten-free eaters due to health reasons. One guest has Celiac Disease and the other is me where gluten triggers migraines and causes my thyroid medication not to work well.

The grooms made sure that all of our gluten free needs were attended to and more. We had GF Alfredo sauce on our fish and GF rolls, GF desert..that was heavenly and delicious with non-migraine triggering chocolate. Amazing!  Now that is caring. I know my GF and food sensitive friends understand.

I must also give a big shout out to Cheerios today! Finally we have GF certified Honey Nut Cheerios in our grocery store. I have discovered that I can drink rice milk. I feel I am priveleged to finally eat a commercially packaged and commercially priced cereal. Eating GF is crazy expensive and to be able to get products off the regular cereal shelf is a big deal.


Have a Happy Health-a-licious Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O-M-Goodness! Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (75% Sugar-Free)

This so sooo amazing! Of course, I had to tweek it to my dietary needs.  You are going to fall out of your chair at how easy and surprisingly delicious this is. Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Dairy-Free -  Gluten-Free -  Sugar-Free -  High in fiber and protein -  Low in fat -  250 calories   Ingredients: 3 Cups of Prepared Garbanzo aka Chickpeas (Or 2 cans Garbanzos that have been drained and well rinsed. I used Bush's brand.) 1 cup Quaker Oats Gluten-Free Quick Oats 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce 3 tbsp Coconut Oil 2 tsp Vanilla Extract 1/2 tsp Baking Soda 2 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp Salt (Finely ground sea salt from Sunshine Nutrition Center http://sunshinehealthy.com) 1 1/3 cups Truvia Brown Sugar with Stevia for baking (75% Sugar-Free) 1 Tbs. Molasses 1 cup Semisweet Carob Chips (http://sunshinehealthy.com) Directions:   Preheat Oven to 350     ˚F Combine all ingredients (except the...

Make Ahead & Freeze Gluten Free Recipes.

After 8 months of gluten free eating my husband is on board to cook gluten free meals for me. He is an amazing cook. He is creative, follows the recipe and adds his own flair to make the recipe all his own. He even came in 2nd at a huge chili cook off at our church. He has created two new home recipes for me. Both are make ahead recipes. Both are freezable. In our household we like to cook twice a week. Enough to be evening staple meals for two or three days. With only two of us it makes it easier than most families of 4 or more. With these new freezable recipes we have been trying, we can cook on Sunday and have meals for a month if we choose. These recipes can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months. Pizza Tot Casserole 1 1/2lbs ground beef                                     ...

The search for healthy delicious foods

I have been in a life long search to find healthy delicious foods that work for my health and my body. Always seeking to find the latest and greatest in foods and flavors that work best for me and my health. I am working to keep my body energetic and fit while overcoming health obstacles that I never imagined would be on my journey in this lifetime. I am writing this blog in the hopes to help others who are on the same journey. Busy women who are on a health quest for themselves and their families. Women who need to keep their energy high and their emotions on track daily so they can be a Proverbs 31 woman. (More to come about that later.) I am by no means an expert. Just a layperson who has taken advice from others (professionals, friends and others) and found that I have discovered more along the way than I ever could have imagined and I am sure to learn so much more. My new discovery; A gluten-free diet is amaz-mo. Food tastes better! You have more energy! Y...